Note: This post has been brought over as a legacy post from my previous blog site because it was popular.
Once the epoxy work was completed on the outside I unscrewed the boat from the supports and flipped it over. I removed all of the extra bracing and build forms. The boat sits well on the 2x4 building jig so I've continued to use that as a working platform.
The next step was to complete the seats and install the gunwales. First the seats:
I used 1x4 stock that I had previously ripped out of 1x6 spruce to frame the seats.
I built the simple frames as shown in the pictures.The front and back seats were built off of the existing mold pieces at station 1 and 5. There were built to be filled with foam and sealed. The middle seat was built open so that items could be stored underneath.
For foam I used primarily some pool noodles. I cut them into shorter pieces and crammed them into the spaces as tightly as I possible.
The top of the seats are made out of 1/4 plywood. Everything was glued with epoxy.
Before assembling the seats I liberally applied wood preservative to the inside surfaces. Since the inside of the seats might get damp I thought it would help prevent rot.
The gunwales were very simple to assemble. I simply used 1 1/4"x1" strips of spruce. These were fastened with screws and glued with epoxy. I glued the gunwales on longer than necessary and then cut them off after they had dried.
The Torqeedo Travel 1003 is the perfect motor to push this Pram at hull speed. If you find these posts useful, please support my shop by buying your Torqeedo here.